Re: Can We `Please Enjoy Single Digit Numbering in Speakup?

speaking personally?
I am confused that this feature even needs requesting.
Every single DOS screen reader I own has a setting where the user decides how numbers are spoken. single digits or words. Further speaking personally I feel separating the idea, text to speech, instead of drivers written to enhance synthesizer quality abilities leads to this problem too.
Pronunciation's  in text to speech only tools is a fine example.
Present and present are announced based on context, dessert and desert those sorts of things, largely because my screen reader programs draw about the capabilities of the synthesizer source I am using. What frustrates me about muddying how such technology works is the way outsiders respond when a situation arises. Speakup is less than a quality screen reader if it does not easily provide a way for an individual to set rate, pitch, inflection, number pronunciation's, symbols anagrams and so forth. I recently had someone from my senator's office tell met hat an embedded form was supposed to work with screen readers..as if all of them are the same work the same, and interact the same regardless of platform. Never mind that the embedded nature meant the form would not appear..which I demonstrated. If Linux in general is going to be taken seriously, speaking personally, and Speakup in particular is to be considered a solid tool?
these features need to be present.
text to speech is just what it says a spoken rendition of a plain text file, which is why the pronunciation can be so dreadful. It takes a quality screen reader program to provide all the extras, mixing the terms only leads to poor results.
Best,
Karen