Re: Installing Ubuntu Server

Three things:

1. There is very little reason to use Ubuntu Server. It is really a holdover from back when you needed a special kernel for servers because of things like memory allocation and drivers. These days, the Linux has dynamic memory allocation and module loading. So Ubuntu no longer creates separate kernels for servers and desktops.  Installing Ubuntu server can save a small amount of disk space and set you up with a character interface. If you care about those things, I would recommend using Debian instead.

2. One way to do an eyes-free install of Ubuntu Server is to use their auto-installer. You can configure a text file that answers all the installation questions. It is non-trivial to do this but once you have it, you can use it over and over. If you are setting up a Ubuntu server farm, this is what you want.

3. Another way I have installed Ubuntu Server in a virtual machine was to take screen shots, run them through an OCR program, and then answered the questions one by one. The Ubuntu Server installation doesn't have a huge number of questions, usually you can just take the default. This is not going to be easy but it can be done. For the OCR program, I would recommend gocr. It seems to work way better than tesseract on screen caps.

PS: Back when I first started using Linux, you had to compile your own kernel. That was just part of the normal installation process. You had to configure how many file handles you wanted and how many simultaneous users you would allow. You had to specify all the drivers you wanted and if you left one out, your machine might not boot.