Re: Installing Ubuntu Server

If you're just doing this for fun, then I'd recommend not even trying. As I said in my other message, there is no longer a meaningful difference between Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server. The only difference is in the set of packages that are installed by default.

But if you are doing this for career advancement, first of all, good for you. I am at the University Of Wisconsin and there are Linux sys admin positions that go unfilled for years. I don't know if it is like that everywhere but around here, if you are a Linux sys admin, you won't be unemployed for 5 minutes.

Anyway, if you are doing this for career advancement, you should look into the Ubuntu auto-installer. I used to do this because I ran a Beowulf research cluster. All the machines from the giant research servers to the office desktops  had to be running the same version of Linux. But I can't think of any other reason to use Ubuntu on a server. If I was running a database server or a file server, I'd just run Debian.

The way the Ubuntu auto-installer works is that at boot time, you tell it where a text file is with all the answers to the config questions. I actually haven't set this up for a long time but, IIRC, I would boot via PXE and configure the PXE config file to point to what is called a kickstart file. Of course, this means you have to configure a PXE boot environment which is, in itself, non-trivial. All good stuff for a Linux sys admin to know though. If you don't want to mess around with PXE booting, you can remaster the Ubuntu installer ISO image instead. IMO, that is just as difficult as setting up PXE and less useful in the long run.

One last thing, if you really want to figure this out, I can send you sample files. Ubuntu totally revamped its auto-installer protocol right when I stopped using Ubuntu Server probably 10 years ago. I had to throw out all the stuff I had developed over the years and relearn how to do an auto-install. Shortly after that, I stopped using Ubuntu Server at all. I am sure I can still find the files though.