Installing Ubuntu Server

Hey Group,
I thought I'd test out Ubuntu server in a VM, using VmWare.
The first problem I noticed is that there is no way to call up speakup
because it is configuring a few things, like disk space to use and user
group and an account.
When I have installed Windows, I didn't have trouble with this because
VmWare took the information from the running windows system.
Actually, I'm not sure how one would install Ubuntu-server non-visually
outside a hypervisor.
I was using:
Ubuntu22.04 64 lite server
I might be able to get through the VmWare installer, I thought I had it
using the Be My Eyes app, but I couldn't tell if I was at a prompt, and
speaker-test produced nothing, and the soundcard was checked for the VM.
I also have Ubuntu Mate on the same computer in a VM, and sometimes I have
to enable the soundcard again to get Orca talking, but that didn't happen
here.
Just hoping someone has installed Ubuntu-server and gotten speakup to work
on first boot.
Glenn