Re: "Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

    CB> Matt Campbell <mattcampbell@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
    >> I took this position in 2000, but for the last decade or more,
    >> access to a GUI has been widely available to blind people at no
    >> extra cost. (If there are blind people today who are truly stuck
    >> on old hardware with no accessible GUI, that's unfortunate, but I
    >> think this is one case where the best solution is charity, not
    >> expecting the rest of the world to accommodate this situation
    >> forever. That's no different than for sighted people stuck on
    >> very old hardware.)

    CB> I'm sorry, but this is a very irresponsible attitude, given the
    CB> impact of climate change.  And now on top of that, the world is
    CB> coping with supply chain issues.  "Chuck it in a landfill
    CB> because it won't run the latest Electron app" is deeply
    CB> unacceptable.

This is not about the latest greatest, it’s just that running GUI is
non-issue these days.  Several years ago, I had to decommission an
almost 20 years old computer with 256 GB RAM used by my mother in law
not because it couldn’t run a GUI but because displaying certain web
sites in a web browser was really non-comfortable (which is the real and
hard to avoid bottleneck).  And guess what I did?  I replaced the
computer with another junk >10 years old computer with 2 GB RAM and the
problem was solved.  No climate impact, no supply chain problems, just a
positive effect of freeing up a bit storage space :-).

Regards,
Milan