Re: "Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

John,

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022, John G. Heim wrote:

Linux is free, open source software. Much of it is written by volunteers. The Linux community simply isn't comperable to Apple or Microsoft. Apple and Microsoft have ethical obligations that do not apply to the Linux community.
I am sorry, but this is simply not correct.

Linus began developing Linux, marketed as a free edition of
UNIX in 1991.
Since then the system is frankly used in countless ways,
including products that carry legal obligations to be inclusive.

Here is an article listing but a few.   Searching uses for Linux?
In your preferred tool will lead to many more such articles.

   From your kitchen to the reaches of outer space, Linux gets
   everywhere...

25 Awesome Things Powered By Linux
By Joey Sneddon � Updated 5 January 2021

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/25-awesome-unexpected-things-powered-linux

A few from this list alone.

1. Super Computers
   Yep, every single one of the world's top 500 supercomputers
use Linux.

2. NASA
   From storing data sent down from satellites and telescopes, to
   crunching that data for research institutions and the greater
public to use, NASA relies heavily on Linux.

6. Roku
   All Roku hardware runs a custom, heavily modified version of
Linux called `Roku OS'.

8. Smart TVs
   Linux doesn't just power a plethora of set-top boxes. A number
of leading TV manufacturers offer a built-in `smart TV'
experience Using Linux.
   From LG (who use WebOS) to Samsung (who use Tizen) to Sharp,
HiSense, Philips and Panasonic... The list of gogglebox giants
making use of Linux goes on!

10. The Amazon Kindle
   The Kindle is almost a byword for digital e-readers, but few
give much thought to the embedded operating system it runs, but
it is Linux. Some hackers even managed to install Ubuntu on the
early-gen Kindles.
   The very first version of the Kindle OS used Linux kernel
v2.6.26,
   while the most recent, the Kindle Oasis, uses v3.0.35.

15. Self Driving Cars

   Google's autonomous car computers run Linux, as do prototype
   self-driving vehicles from General Motors (GM) and Volkswagen.

19. Advanced Air Traffic Control

   The Federal Aviation Administration of the United States
switched to Linux back in 2006. It runs custom-built software to
manage and display air traffic flow - software that runs on
Linux.

20. Chromebooks
   You'd be surprised how many people think Chromebooks run
Android -- they don't. Chromebooks run Chrome OS, a Linux
distribution based on but heavily modified from) Gentoo.

23. U.S. Department of Defense

   The United States Department of Defense is the single biggest
customer of Red Hat Linux.

Honestly I have no idea where you get the sense that Linux is run
by volunteers.  When IBM bought Red Hat, the company behind
Fedora in 2019, they paid 34 billion dollars for the company. Meaning this individual is likely drawing an amazing wage to
define Accessibility in Linux by  their very small and limited
dictionary.

Karen