trouble shooting, was: Re: the push to get rid of CONFIG_VT in the kernel and the future of Speakup

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:23:51AM -0500, John G. Heim wrote:
> Maybe we should change the discussion toward trouble shooting techniques.
>
> Suppose you are the one and only linux systems admin where you work.
> You come in one morning and there are 8 people at your office door
> saying they can't get to their email. You ping the email server and
> get nothing. What do you do next?

That depends. Is the e-mail server local, or remote in another part of
the country, or world? If local, does it have speakup installed, and
can it be physically accessed through a serial port/hardware synth,
software speech/no serial port, or both? If remote, do you have out of
band access to it which is accessible (I.E. not through VNC only)? If
there isn't out of band access (really bad idea for remote machine),
what is the procedure to gain access to it indirectly (I.E. call data
center support, or travel there)?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net