Re: speakup on debian wheezy

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:16:40PM -0700, Tom Fowle wrote:
> Hi folks;
> Just installed latest debian wheezy on my ancient asus 1.3 gig box with
> doubletalk PC internal
> the install went fine with speech.
> Doesn't speak on boot.
> After "inaccessible prompt"
> modprobe speakup_dtlk
> works.
>
> the file:
> /sys/module/speakup/parameters/synth
> contains
> dtlk

You likely need to edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, and put in a
line like:

speakup_dtlk

after that, run

update-initramfs -u

> Even when working speakup does not echo deleated chars from backspace as
> it
> used to do
> on my previous fedora 7 setup.

The above statement makes no sense to me. I can confirm using back
space on a debian wheezy system with a doubletalk pc works fine here.

> I occasionally have a crash where the screen says stuff about softlock
> and
> speakup
> but the only way we can get a copy of the following screen full of hex
> is to
> take a photo of it.

Install a kernel from debian backports. This problem seems to be fixed there.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1