speakup on debian wheezy

Hi folks;
Just installed latest debian wheezy on my ancient asus 1.3 gig box with
doubletalk PC internal
the install went fine with speech.
Doesn't speak on boot.
After "inaccessible prompt"
modprobe speakup_dtlk
works.

the file:
/sys/module/speakup/parameters/synth
contains
dtlk
Even when working speakup does not echo deleated chars from backspace as
it
used to do
on my previous fedora 7 setup.

I occasionally have a crash where the screen says stuff about softlock
and
speakup
but the only way we can get a copy of the following screen full of hex
is to
take a photo of it.

does that ring any bells?

Also can't get brltty started but suppose have to ask that on the brltty
list if I can find that.

thanks

  Tom Fowle
  wa6ivgtf@xxxxxxxxxxx