my upgrading seems broken

Hi,

I seem to have done something dumb again. I generally attempt to update
my system every morning, and a few days ago it failed with a complaint
about corrupted files. On arch linux, the files were those in
/var/lib/pacman/sync,  which are refreshed when I do the updates. So I
deleted them, then ran my update command again, which resulted in fresh
copies being retrieved. However, I now co am told "There is nothing to
do" every time I check for updates, which I know not to be the case. The
permissions on those files match those on a similar system which is
getting updates normally, while mine continues to tell me there is
nothing to do.

If anyone has any idea what is happening here, I could sure use them.

Chuck

--

 Chuck in Ghent, northeast of Hudson on the Hudson.