GRML USB sound card and Speakup

Hi all:

I'm trying to get GRML to use my USB headset on a system that does not boot up with speech.
This system has sound (works fine in Windows 8.1 via the internal sound card).
No speech in GRML though after loading speakup_soft and starting espeakup.

amixer scontrols does not output much useful.

I found /etc/default/espeakup but I don't know what to put in as the number for the usb headset.

How do I configure espeak/espeakup/speakup to use the usb headset?

Thanks,

-Øyvind