Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

John, I use serial consoles on the servers and blades I manage, so I don't
need speakup on them. In the case that I do need speech on them, I use a
rescue disc with speakup.

I need speakup on my desktop and I do prefer hardware speech over software
speech. I also tend to do experimentation on my desktop or rather a test
machine I have for this purpose, so I need access to kernel messages for
when something goes wrong. This is why I need hardware speech on these
machines.

I guess only time will tell whether serial ports completely disappear from
desktop machines. My money is on the side that they will. Afterall, it is
already happening. What is the ratio of desktops that have a serial port
to those that don't? My guess is around 10 to 1 or maybe even higher. And
we're not even talking about laptops where it seems everyone is resigned
to the fact that software speech is the only option. If speakup could
support usb serial ports, than it doesn't have to be this way. One could
use a hardware synth when it is docked and software speech when on the
move if usb synths were supported.

Perhaps rs232 serial ports will never completely disappear. There might
always be a niche for them. You can still get rs232 serial printers that
are used in manufacturing, so there might also be a niche for computers
with serial ports. But we will have to pay a hefty premium for them.

The point here is that we can take a chance and assume that there will
always be computers with serial ports and can continue using speakup as it
is now or we can take the lead and acknowledge the fact that serial ports
are uncommon and that for speakup to be useful as a kernel based screen
reader that it will need some way of accessing serial ports that are not
built-in to the motherboard. I am not just talking about usb, as it does
seem to me the best way to go, but there are also pci express rs232 serial
cards that can be used as an alternative if speakup is able to access
them. Since there are few desktops available with built-in serial ports
and perhaps none in the not-too-distant future that have serial ports
speakup can use, then speakup isn't very useful as a kernel based screen
reader.

I think we are at a cross roads where speakup development can focus on
supporting hardware speech on modern computers without serial ports or it
can focus on software speech where being a kernel based screen reader is
of little advantage and it might be better for it to be in userland where
it would be easier to integrate into distributions.