What window manager?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 02:20:04AM -0800, Tony Baechler wrote:
> OK, I definitely have Gnome installed.  I looked at the pkg desc for gdm
> and still don't know why I'm supposed to remove it.
:End-Quote"

	Have you tried running the following:

aptitude safe-upgrade

...This should be done repeatedly so packages which are being held back
will be installed in proper order, with all their dependencies having
been met, until the system as been properly brought up to date.
aptitude, I've been told, is the only tool intelligent enough to fix a
mess of the type you're describing.

			Michael