What window manager?

Hi,

OK, I definitely have Gnome installed.  I looked at the pkg desc for gdm
and still don't know why I'm supposed to remove it.  As soon as I tell
aptitude to remove it, I get a bunch of errors about broken packages.  I
ran tasksel several times to install the desktop task like you said and
it just sat there at 0% even after waiting a long time.  I have a fast
connection so I'm sure it wasn't downloading packages.  I'm now positive
that I have all of Gnome installed.  I ran startx and it still just
drops me on tty7 with no speech and no Orca.  I'm sure I have gdm
removed even though it complained about gnome being broken.  It still
wants to know what window manager to use and I don't think gnome itself
is a window manager.  I've created new xorg config files from scratch a
bunch of times and still no luck.  If I need to install something else,
what?  I don't mind using Google but I'm not really sure what I'm
looking for since I'm sure gnome is fully installed now.  It looks like
the window manager doesn't matter but whatever I pick doesn't work.  If
I look at the x11-common pkg, it looks like it installs a bunch of other
window managers with no explanation of what to use.  I don't mind
completely reinstalling everything but I'm not sure what pkgs to remove
other than gnome-desktop-environment.  I still need help here and I'm
obviously missing something.