the icq cilents?

Hi all,
going to try to ask this in a reasonable way.  at shellworld we have both
MICQ, and VICQ for icq messaging.  the former seems more up to date,
at least I can do things like update my information.
I am trying to invite someone, but unfortunately the information clears on
the screen before it can be reviewed.  anyone know the invite command?
I have tired just adding them,  but it does not seem to work.
ideas?
thanks,
Karen