Slackware Boot Floppies

Actually, I was talking about some disks I made for myself by copying
downloaded disk images from my hard drive onto floppies.  I had a
couple of floppies around here that had been used a lot over the
years, and while disk images seemed to copy to them okay, the disks
did not work.  It turned out that the disks had developed minor
defects--not enough to make the disk image copy fail, but just enough
to keep the data from loading from the disk properly.  I expect that
such defects could cause similar problems if the makebootdisk script
is used.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 05:57:37PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Interesting you should bring this up.  I assume you are talking about
> the slackware makebootdisk script? I would think the ready-made
> bootdisks from slackware would be ok.  I just upgraded to Slackware
> 10.0 in place and never used any pre-made bootdisks but I now have a
> problem with lilo based floppies.  Lilo never comes up anymore but if
> I use syslinux to boot with floppies that seems to work ok but I can't
> seem to pass variable parameters to the command line for some reason.
> Lilo still works on the hard drive though, thank God.
>
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:04:20AM -0700, Ralph W. Reid wrote:
> > Did you get any warnings or errors when making the boot disks?  As
> > kernels continue to grow in size, squeezing everything onto a single
> > floppy is getting tougher and tougher--might you be running out of
> > room, even for a lilo boot floppy?  Do you have any tools to confirm
> > that your floppies have no defects (this one has bitten me in the
> > past)?
> >
> > HTH and have a _great_ weekend!
> >  . . .

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
CIRCLE AREA = _pi * r ^ 2