Linux on Dell laptop?

Slackware comes with a root disk called the smart boot manager or
something like that.  It is something to allow a computer which can't
normally boot a CDROM to boot it, as well as any other partition on any
hard drive.  It is called sbootmgr.dsk.  I've managed to boot it before
and by hitting the down arrow about 3 or 4 times followed by enter, I was
able to luck into the selection for booting a CDROM.  So, that may be
another way to get around the problem of the floppy not being recognized
by the kernel.