Emacspeak and Speak up for linux

Hi listers,

	Does anyone know how Emacspeak works for Linux?  I guess it is a speech
synthesizer that works through the computers sound card.  Does any one know
how to install this or if it actually works as a linux screen reader?  I
would like to use speech under linux but I don't have an external speech
synthesizer.

Please let me know

Peter Konka