Re: regressions on HEAD

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 06:38:45PM +0000, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On 25 February 2018 at 17:49, Luc Van Oostenryck
> <luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I am not sure why above is the 'right thing'. There does not appear to
> >> be a definition or process to identify fixes or changes that people
> >> need urgently - and if I recall correctly you previously objected to
> >> having such a process when I suggested it.
> >
> > I don't remember we ever had a discussion about this.
> > It's true though, that I don't believe in very strict procedures
> > (though, I'm sure they are very good things in a lot of situations).
> > I think we must adapt our decisions to the reality with all its
> > complexity and unpredictability.
> >

> Here is the quote from previous discussion:
>
> >> 4. My suggestion would that for enhancements a simple majority voting
> >> should be adopted to ensure that features go in because Sparse users
> >> want them.

Here above you was talking about 'fixes or changes people need urgently'
while this suggestion was about simple enhancements.
My objection was about using majority voting to take techncal decisions.

> > During these months I explained several times:
> > 1) that I tried the pseudo-size approach, even before Linus
> >    suggested the OP_ARG/OP_PUSH approach, and that I abandoned
> >    it because I saw several problems with it.
>
> From what I recall you tried adding a type to PSEUDO_VAL which didn't
> work. I don't think you tried the solution adopted by Chris.
>
> Here is your attempt:
>
> https://marc.info/?l=linux-sparse&m=148924738913671&w=2

I had tried a pseudo-size approach before.
I never posted it because of several issues I saw.
The PSEUDO_VAL approach came later. It looked better at first
but just after I posted it, I realized it couldn't work.
Then Linus proposed the OP_ARG way which became OP_PUSH.
As you know very well, it was easy, low impact, implemented and
tested within hours by me and tested soon after by yourself.

> In my view we should just go with Chris's approach and stop debating
> this issue endlessly.

The pseudo-size approach (the one I did or Chris' version, they're
essentially the same patch) have issues with CSE and with casts,
maybe others too. It's impact is not understood. It's not tested.

-- Luc