Re: regressions on HEAD

On 25 February 2018 at 20:59, Luc Van Oostenryck
<luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 06:38:45PM +0000, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't remember we ever had a discussion about this.
>> > It's true though, that I don't believe in very strict procedures
>> > (though, I'm sure they are very good things in a lot of situations).
>> > I think we must adapt our decisions to the reality with all its
>> > complexity and unpredictability.
>> >

>> Here is the quote from previous discussion:

> Here above you was talking about 'fixes or changes people need urgently'
> while this suggestion was about simple enhancements.
> My objection was about using majority voting to take techncal decisions.

Voting can be used in two ways:
a) to express need for a particular fix or feature
b) to express approval for a change.

Even technical merit is sometimes subjective - my solution is better
than yours etc. - voting can help get opinions from others to decide
the best way forward.

>> > During these months I explained several times:
>> > 1) that I tried the pseudo-size approach, even before Linus
>> >    suggested the OP_ARG/OP_PUSH approach, and that I abandoned
>> >    it because I saw several problems with it.
>>
>> From what I recall you tried adding a type to PSEUDO_VAL which didn't
>> work. I don't think you tried the solution adopted by Chris.
>>
>> Here is your attempt:
>>
>> https://marc.info/?l=linux-sparse&m=148924738913671&w=2
>
> I had tried a pseudo-size approach before.
> I never posted it because of several issues I saw.
> The PSEUDO_VAL approach came later. It looked better at first
> but just after I posted it, I realized it couldn't work.
> Then Linus proposed the OP_ARG way which became OP_PUSH.
> As you know very well, it was easy, low impact, implemented and
> tested within hours by me and tested soon after by yourself.
>
>> In my view we should just go with Chris's approach and stop debating
>> this issue endlessly.
>
> The pseudo-size approach (the one I did or Chris' version, they're
> essentially the same patch) have issues with CSE and with casts,
> maybe others too. It's impact is not understood. It's not tested.

I think that is fine. We can test it and fix issues. I already tested
it in my repo and did not find any issues - although I appear to have
missed the bug you found. The way forward is to have it available and
test it.

If Chris can move the change to sparse-next branch then the objection
to having this on HEAD / master is solved.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu