Re: regressions on HEAD

Hi Luc,

On 25 February 2018 at 09:25, Luc Van Oostenryck
<luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The right and wise thing would have to:
> 1) take the 2 patches that Jason is waiting for since 5 months
>    (if you agree with).
> 2) take Randy's patch with the early return NULL
> 3) take Randy's patch to silence the indirect_branch attribute
> 4) take my patch to disable the default -Wunknown-attribute
> 5) inc the version number
> 6) push a release so that people stop seeing the current
>    148K+ warnings about the unknown indirect_branch attribute.
>
> But people are still waiting and seeing these 148K+ useless
> warnings and you have forced in a patch which:

I am not sure why above is the 'right thing'. There does not appear to
be a definition or process to identify fixes or changes that people
need urgently - and if I recall correctly you previously objected to
having such a process when I suggested it.

> 1) I explained to you why it was wrong

Is it wrong because you disagree with it? I don't see a problem with
the approach. I tested your approach of OP_PUSH as well - and in my
view after comparing the two, this is more correct as it avoids
creating a pseudo IR instruction.

> 2) nobody need (even not Dibyendu who, since many weeks, has
>    taken what he wanted in hiw heavily modified tree)

Actually I do want this patch because it is blocking the other LLVM
patches which would benefit Sparse.

> 3) have not been tested (I told you that *if* you make changes
>    to the generated code, you better should test it. You have
>    zero such tests)
> 4) contains a beginner error
>

> Now you still have the choice to Do The Right Thing:
> revert these two patches and push this release or display the
> level your stubbornness can reach.
> What will you do?

I wish the arguments were more technical and less confrontational.
As I mentioned above, I am not sure who defines the 'Right Thing'.

Regards
Dibyendu