Re: Sparse 0.5.1 RC5 released.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:12 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar
<mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually after RC5 merge there is a change in behaviour.
>
> Previously it would would fail to compile when simplifications were turned on.
> Now:
>
> 1) Without single store shortcut it fails to compile. The error generated is:
>
> error: no result for pseudo
> minilua.c:5593:24: error: failed to output instruction load.64*
> %r13018 <- 16[VOID]
>
> minilua.c:5593:24: error: failed to output load.64*    %r13018 <- 16[VOID]

Yes. Please forget about the single store shortcut: it's broken.
But I'm not sure: do you mean "without the shortcut" or
"without the patch that remove the shortcut"?

> 2) With single store shortcut it appears to compile successfully but
> when the executable is run against the 'dynasm' test the test fails.
> The un-simplified version works however.

But I understood you had tried with the SSA I sent  link.
Have I misunderstood?

> Here are the linearized outputs:
>
> I am not sure this helps you.

Not really, I was expecting the result of the preprocessing to avoid
header dependencies and use the code as you're using it.
For example, sparse doesn't know about the __DMR_C__ macro,
we're not using the same header files, not even the same platform.

>>> Note also that I have a couple of workarounds in my repository:
> Maybe we can look at these ones later ...

Sure.
But really, having small testcases with a clear description of exactly
what is wrong, help a lot.

Personally, I don't look at the output of sparse-llvm because I don't
find it very interesting and even more so because I know there are
lots of problems already in the IR we feed sparse-llvm with.
But if you send some specific problems, I can for sure at least look at them.

Regards,
-- Luc