Re: Upcoming sparse release RC5

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Luc Van Oostenryck
<luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I do want to have the flexibility to rebase spase-next.
>> It is just how to do it in a way impact you less.
>
> Just don't rebase my series. I maintain a few aggregation
> branches with all the topics branches I need and often
> do new dev on top of them because I need to.
> When I don't need it I base new dev on some stable point
> like master.

Do as I suggested, I always use "for-chris" as base.
You always put all the bits you want me to pull in "for-chris".
I will not rebase your series at all. Why? because your
"for-chris" are the base for me.

You need to make "for-chris" fast forwardable from master.

> If it is a small thing I did the day before, it won't probably be a big
> problem but for older stuff it is.

The beauty in my model is that. It does not matter how long does
sparse-next merge back to master. The you provide your own
stable point which I rebase on top of.

> Let's do as we had agreed: real pull request will have "[GIT PULL]"
> in the email and will always be from the 'for-chris'. I also guarantee
> that the pull will not need a non-trivial merge when done from
> the current sparse-next.

That will make your harder to make some V4 -> V5 change.

Your "for-chris" contain all your patches you want me to pull. Then
sparse-next only rebase on your "for-chris". Let me due with the
merges (not from your patch).

Chris