TTY layer discussion about generic FIFO depth and Rx iddle timeout control

Dear Wander and Greg,

[resend on base of email-bot of Greg Kroah-Hartman's inbox]

I have noticed that you have sent enhancements
to the TTY layer.

I have worked on architecture of automotive LIN-bus
support for Linux UARTs. The SocketCAN API was idea
of Oliver Hartkopp and we have designed internals
to implement actual protocol. Rostislav Lisovy
was main author at our university in 2011. The code
has been used and is used by more people and I have
helped its integration to local Volkswagen subsidiary
projects. I have helped to maintain it for years
even that I have actually no use for it or contract.
But is seems usable...

I am not sure if it can reach quality standards
for mainline but I have tried to consolidate
many forks and copies from our original GIT
server which can be found on GitHub and united
project under

  https://github.com/lin-bus

Kernel part - slLIN TTY discipline - can be found there

  https://github.com/lin-bus/linux-lin/tree/master/sllin

Documentation

  https://github.com/lin-bus/linux-lin/wiki/

The main obstacle to have version which can be used
with different UARTs seamlessly is missing internal low
level kernel API which would allow to control Rx trig
level.

I have not checked your changes yet but I would be happy
if some API is available for this control. Please see
issue

  https://github.com/lin-bus/linux-lin/issues/13

Please suggest where to discuss the proposal/solutions
or if you plan to implement something like that.

I would be happy to work on that myself or with my students
but I personally do not get to that probably earlier
than in summer. I have to finish project for European Space
Agency at PiKRON company. We have quite lot of work
to switch our Computer Architectures classes and corresponding
QtMips/QtRvSim simulator to RISC-V etc...
Mainlining CTU CAN FD driver has higher priority than LIN for
me as well.

So my actual motivation is to document the need and get some
feedback if some such solution is on the horizon
and what should API look like if I get to it ourselves etc..

Best wishes,

                Pavel
--
                Pavel Pisa