Re: TTY layer discussion about generic FIFO depth and Rx iddle timeout control

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 8:06 PM Pavel Pisa <pisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Wander and Greg,

Hi there,

Notice that by no means I am an expert either on the TTY or CAN subsystems.

> [resend on base of email-bot of Greg Kroah-Hartman's inbox]
>
> I have noticed that you have sent enhancements
> to the TTY layer.
>
> I have worked on architecture of automotive LIN-bus
> support for Linux UARTs. The SocketCAN API was idea
> of Oliver Hartkopp and we have designed internals
> to implement actual protocol. Rostislav Lisovy
> was main author at our university in 2011. The code
> has been used and is used by more people and I have
> helped its integration to local Volkswagen subsidiary
> projects. I have helped to maintain it for years
> even that I have actually no use for it or contract.
> But is seems usable...
>
> I am not sure if it can reach quality standards
> for mainline but I have tried to consolidate
> many forks and copies from our original GIT
> server which can be found on GitHub and united
> project under
>
>   https://github.com/lin-bus
>
> Kernel part - slLIN TTY discipline - can be found there
>
>   https://github.com/lin-bus/linux-lin/tree/master/sllin
>
> Documentation
>
>   https://github.com/lin-bus/linux-lin/wiki/
>
> The main obstacle to have version which can be used
> with different UARTs seamlessly is missing internal low
> level kernel API which would allow to control Rx trig
> level.

Do you mean the electric wire-level or Rx buffer threshold?

> I have not checked your changes yet but I would be happy
> if some API is available for this control. Please see
> issue
>
>   https://github.com/lin-bus/linux-lin/issues/13
>

>From what I read I believe you are talking about the FIFO threshold.
One approach Is adding a new function to serdev_controller_ops for
supported (and tested) controllers, I think.

> Please suggest where to discuss the proposal/solutions
> or if you plan to implement something like that.
>
> I would be happy to work on that myself or with my students
> but I personally do not get to that probably earlier
> than in summer. I have to finish project for European Space
> Agency at PiKRON company. We have quite lot of work
> to switch our Computer Architectures classes and corresponding
> QtMips/QtRvSim simulator to RISC-V etc...
> Mainlining CTU CAN FD driver has higher priority than LIN for
> me as well.
>
> So my actual motivation is to document the need and get some
> feedback if some such solution is on the horizon
> and what should API look like if I get to it ourselves etc..

As Greg said, it is easier to organize the work in a series of patches
and send them for review.