Re: PROBLEM: tty devices with future timestamps

Hi Greg,

> What is this "problem" causing today?

This is probably only a cosmetic issue, rather than a
strictly-speaking bug.  I mean, the tty line works fine, and the 8
second resolution is a nice prevention against security/privacy
issues.  I'm not aware of any misbehavior in any application (which,
of course, does not guarantee that there isn't any).

That being said, the device regularly having a future timestamp (and
in turn, "ls -l" using a different formatting) is totally unexpected,
and made me (and perhaps will make others) think that there must be
something wrong with the system.

Is this a bug in coreutils's "ls"?  (That was my first suspect.)  ...
Or am I experiencing clock skews?  Due to a hardware flaw?  Due to an
ntp problem?   Is there a chance it'll affect some apps too?  ...  Or
what else could it be?  ...  -- I was wondering.

If the code cares enough to update the timestamp at all -- which I
would be fine without, I personally wouldn't mind if it stayed at the
creation time of that tty line, or was always the Epoch --, and cares
enough to reduce the precision -- which I find a good thing --, then I
guess it should also take care of not setting it to a future
timestamp, in order not to cause unexpected end-user results in "ls
-l" and who knows what other tools.

thanks for your consideration,
egmont