Re: PROBLEM: tty devices with future timestamps

On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 09:16:28AM +0200, Egmont Koblinger wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> > What is this "problem" causing today?
>
> This is probably only a cosmetic issue, rather than a
> strictly-speaking bug.  I mean, the tty line works fine, and the 8
> second resolution is a nice prevention against security/privacy
> issues.  I'm not aware of any misbehavior in any application (which,
> of course, does not guarantee that there isn't any).

Given that this change has been in linux for over 7 years (was
introduced in 2013), I'm sure we would have been told of any misbehavior
by now :)

> That being said, the device regularly having a future timestamp (and
> in turn, "ls -l" using a different formatting) is totally unexpected,
> and made me (and perhaps will make others) think that there must be
> something wrong with the system.
>
> Is this a bug in coreutils's "ls"?  (That was my first suspect.)  ...
> Or am I experiencing clock skews?  Due to a hardware flaw?  Due to an
> ntp problem?   Is there a chance it'll affect some apps too?  ...  Or
> what else could it be?  ...  -- I was wondering.
>
> If the code cares enough to update the timestamp at all -- which I
> would be fine without, I personally wouldn't mind if it stayed at the
> creation time of that tty line, or was always the Epoch --, and cares
> enough to reduce the precision -- which I find a good thing --, then I
> guess it should also take care of not setting it to a future
> timestamp, in order not to cause unexpected end-user results in "ls
> -l" and who knows what other tools.

We are doing a simple "knock the lower bits off and check" calculation
to make this fast, as it needs to be fast.  As for setting it in the
future, I don't think that's what is happening here, you are just
comparing two things that can't be compared as they are not the same
thing.

thanks,

greg k-h