Re: [BISECTED] - multiport braiboxes serial card broken between 4.8 and 4.9 (and again in 4.14)

On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 23:20 +0100, Nikola Ciprich wrote:

> > Yep, this one only, with your script versus the following w/o your
> > script.
>
> ok, with 1st patch, IRQ in lspci is right, after manual ports setup
> all of them work.
>
> with whole serie, ports are autodetected correctly and work

Cool!

> > Here actually two test cases would be nice to have: a) only patch 1
> > applied, and then b) all of them are applied.
> >

> > Tested-by: First Last <e@xxxxxxxx>
>
> done

Sorry, I had been not clear, there were no cover letter and since you
basically have tested _entire_ series, please, respond to each email
there like you did for the first one.

Very appreciated!

> > Since you have one ISA port, it's not so easy.
> >
> > You may try to supply 8250.nr_uarts=6, in this case they will occupy
> > those gaps, but mind ordering -- nr_uarts=9 not the same as
> > nr_uarts=6!
> > (Keep an eye on IO addresses)
>
> you're right, this does the trick, but with nr_uarts the ordering is
> wrong.
>

> thanks for all the help, and if You'd not mind, I'll try to send you
> patches
> for review tomorrow for more brainboxes models.

I wouldn't. Please, follow [1] when do that.

>  I suppose 3s1p will be
> very similar to the one done today,

Yep.

>  but let me as two final questions
> today - 1) if I have all-serial card (4 serial, no parallel), they'll
> go
> to 8250_pci.c, right?

Correct.

>  2) if some of the cards correctly work only with
> APIC disable, is there some quirk to enable for such models, or some
> other solution to have them working without having to disable it?

First of all, it needs to be known what the root cause of such. W/o that
knowledge is hard to say how to proceed.

> but if it's too large topic, we can postpone it for later or just
> can let be..

[1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/submit-checklist.r
st

--