Re: [1/2] tty: serial: jsm: Remove unnecessary NULL checks

>>> These two unnecessary NULL checks were tracked in the call
>>> chain as never NULL, …
>>
>> I find this wording too generic.
>> How do you think about to point the function(s) out exactly
>> which call the discussed function implementations?
>
> It's on the code Markus, no need to put this on commit message.

I would prefer a safer explanation there.

> Commit messages aren't meant to describe what code changes were done,
> just to specify why and how (in a theoretical way).

Is this issue easier to understand when the source code place
will be explicitly mentioned from where these functions get always (!)
a non-null pointer passed?

>>> No functional changes are intended.
>>
>> Did we agree already that such an information could be questionable?
>> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/<e456697b-c412-4de6-a1dd-95ec4a219c68@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Is another approach needed to achieve the desired consensus?
>

> I didn't agree with this - I mean, no functional change was intended,
> it's a fact.

How much is the deletion of two sanity checks a functional adjustment?

> Do we agree that the NULL checks were useless? If yes

Two maintainers expressed such a view.

> (and we do, since it was your suggestion),

I dared to ask once for this case in this software design direction.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/29/906

> how removing them will change the function of adapter/driver?

Such an adjustment should result in a bit smaller object code
for this software module so that you might get nicer run time characteristics.

By the way:
* Is there a need to include also the general Linux kernel mailing list
  as a recipient for this update suggestion?

* Is a cover letter also useful for a patch series with only two update steps?

Regards,
Markus