Re: qla2xxx: Conditionally disable automatic queue full tracking

Hi Giri,

Giridhar Malavali wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Can u please clarify following things.
>
> 1) You are ok with scsi mid layer adjusting the queue depth as long as
> the ramp-up code does not over shoot the user set threshold.

Yes.  This was the problem we had with qla2xxx.  Sites would tune
their cluster to avoid most queue fulls and qla2xxx would merrily
ramp queue depths back up to 32.

> 2) You want this to be controlled at device/LUN level. So the
> threshold is per LUN rather than target.

That's the way it is today and we're okay with this arrangement.
This allows for static "performance" balancing.  Luns designated
for high throughput can receive more outstanding commands than those
only lightly used.

> 3) From your previous mail, I understand that you don't require a
> combined limit per target. Say the total queue depth for all LUN's on
> a particular target should not exceed some threshold.

Require, no.  This is the way it is today.  Desirable, YES.

This would be useful in both single system and cluster environments
allowing the administrator to not have to be so conservative with
their per-lun queue depth calculations.  On the raids we use, a
"target" corresponds to a fibre cable entering a raid
controller.  Every storage entity presented is a "lun".  The max
number of outstanding commands is per raid controller.  I think this
is a good idea and would support its implementation.  :)  I don't
believe it eliminates the need for the ability to set a queue depth
"per lun" but I could be talked into that belief.

Mike