Re: Recommended HBA management interfaces

There's some interesting dichotomies in this question/response:

Drivers exist :
1) Within the ESX kernel for physical hardware, with ESX leveraging the api's from the linux kernel/midlayer/etc in order to pick up linux drivers for device support in their kernel/hypervisor. This was my discussion area. Management of this area wants to happen via VMware-based paradigms.

2) Within a guest OS for : a) emulated hardware or b) direct pci function passthru to the guest os.

3) VMware emulates a LSI adapter as a guest-os-to-hypervisor abstraction point (e.g 2a). Thus LSI drivers could/can exist in both ESX and in the Guest OS simultaneously, and if the guest is running linux, both driver instances are effectively the linux driver. Atul/LSI is trying very hard to make the one linux driver work in both environments.

Hope this helps.

-- james s

Mukker, Atul wrote:
We _are_ talking about the "optimized" driver :-)