Re: Recommended HBA management interfaces

Mukker, Atul wrote:
Thanks for restating my original question.

1. What interface should be used by the HBA management applications to obtain (non-generic) information from the HBA?
My opinions:

sysfs :
Pro: Good for singular data items and simple status (link state, f/w rev, etc). Very good for things that really don't need a tool (simplistic admin commands):
            (show state, reset board, etc).
 Con: Doesn't work well for "transactions" that need multiple data elements
Lack of insight to process life cycle, thus multi-step and concurrent
            transactions difficult.
         Doesn't work with binary data, buffers, etc.
         Difficult to use concurrently by multiple processes.
         Can't push async info to user.
         No support for complex things.
         The list of attributes can get big. Not a big deal, but...
Security based on attribute permissions (not always the best model)

configfs:
 Pro: Basically sysfs but for transactions with multiple data elements
 Con: (same as sysfs, just minus multiple data element con).

netlink:
Pro: Very good for "multi-cast" operations - pushing async events to multiple
             receivers.
        Handles requests and responses with multiple data elements easily.
        Can track per-process life cycles.
        Socket based so could even support mgmt from a different machine.
        Security checking easy to build in.
 Con: Doesn't work well for large payloads.
Payloads can't be referenced via data pointer (they need to be inline to the pkt). Direct DMA not supported - has to be staged to driver buffer, copied in/out
           of socket.
Multi-step transactions doable, but difficult. Maintaining relationships per
           pid difficult.
        Multiple machines means dealing with endian-ness and data typing.
The netlink sockets do have memory-related issues that must be watched.

Note: to not burn NETLINK id space, and perhaps collide in different distro kernels, please use the mid-layers netlink infrastructure, which does allow
       driver-specific messaging.

bsg:
(Specifically the new midlayer sgio support that was recently added for ELS passthru)
 Pro: Support requests and responses with multiple data elements easily
        Supports separate request and response DMA-able payload buffers
        Supports big payloads easily
 Con: Lack of insight to process lifecycle, thus multi-step and concurrent
            transactions difficult.
         Async response generation (w/o associated request) very difficult.
It's really a wrappered ioctl, with the midlayer protecting the kernel from bad ioctl practice via the way it converts the sgio ioctl into a midlayer request. Creates an odd programming interface, as you really want to
            wrapper the ioctl on the user side too.

Thus, when you look across the pros and cons, its easy to see why the transport
is using different things for different purposes.

2. How should driver notify such applications of asynchronous events happening on the HBA?
This is already there with the midlayer netlink support. Vendor-unique events
are already supported.

Please keep in mind, all the data transfer between the applications and the HBA is a private protocol.
Private or not, the code for the interface use will have to be in the driver. Code will be inspected for proper/safe usage of the interfaces. Coding such that things in the
messaging are black-boxes will always be a point of contention.

-- james s

Thanks
Atul Mukker