Re: [bug report] blktests srp/002 hang

On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 2:14 AM Bob Pearson <rpearsonhpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/21/23 10:10, Zhu Yanjun wrote:
> >
> > 在 2023/9/21 22:39, Bob Pearson 写道:

> >> This commit is very important for several reasons. It is needed for the ODP implementation
> >> that is in the works from Daisuke Matsuda and also for QP scaling of performance. The work
> >> queue implementation scales well with increasing qp number while the tasklet implementation
> >> does not. This is critical for the drivers use in large scale storage applications. So, if
> >> there is a bug in the work queue implementation it needs to be fixed not reverted.
> >>
> >> I am still hoping that someone will diagnose what is causing the ULPs to hang in terms of
> >> something missing causing it to wait.
> >
> > Hi, Bob
> >

> > You submitted this commit 9b4b7c1f9f54 ("RDMA/rxe: Add workqueue support for rxe tasks").
> >
> > You should be very familiar with this commit.
> >
> > And this commit causes regression.
> >
> > So you should delved into the source code to find the root cause, then fix it.
>
> Zhu,
>
> I have spent tons of time over the months trying to figure out what is happening with blktests.
> As I have mentioned several times I have seen the same exact failure in siw in the past although
> currently that doesn't seem to happen so I had been suspecting that the problem may be in the ULP.
> The challenge is that the blktests represents a huge stack of software much of which I am not
> familiar with. The bug is a hang in layers above the rxe driver and so far no one has been able to
> say with any specificity the rxe driver failed to do something needed to make progress or violated
> expected behavior. Without any clue as to where to look it has been hard to make progress.

Bob

Work queue will sleep. If work queue sleep for long time, the packets
will not be sent to ULP. This is why this hang occurs.
Difficult to handle this sleep in work queue. It had better revert
this commit in RXE.
Because work queue sleeps,  ULP can not wait for long time for the
packets. If packets can not reach ULPs for long time, many problems
will occur to ULPs.