Re: [bug report] blktests srp/002 hang

On Aug 22, 2023 / 08:20, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 8/22/23 03:18, Shinichiro Kawasaki wrote:
> > CC+: Bart,
> >
> > On Aug 21, 2023 / 20:46, Bob Pearson wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Shinichiro,
> >
> > Hello Bob, thanks for the response.
> >

> > > I have been aware for a long time that there is a problem with blktests/srp. I see hangs in
> > > 002 and 011 fairly often.
> >
> > I repeated the test case srp/011, and observed it hangs. This hang at srp/011
> > also can be recreated in stable manner. I reverted the commit 9b4b7c1f9f54
> > then observed the srp/011 hang disappeared. So, I guess these two hangs have
> > same root cause.
> >
> > > I have not been able to figure out the root cause but suspect that
> > > there is a timing issue in the srp drivers which cannot handle the slowness of the software
> > > RoCE implemtation. If you can give me any clues about what you are seeing I am happy to help
> > > try to figure this out.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I myself do not have srp driver knowledge, and
> > not sure what clue I should provide. If you have any idea of the action I can
> > take, please let me know.
>
> Hi Shinichiro and Bob,
>
> When I initially developed the SRP tests these were working reliably in
> combination with the rdma_rxe driver. Since 2017 I frequently see issues when
> running the SRP tests on top of the rdma_rxe driver, issues that I do not see
> if I run the SRP tests on top of the soft-iWARP driver (siw). How about
> changing the default for the SRP tests from rdma_rxe to siw and to let the
> RDMA community resolve the rdma_rxe issues?

If it takes time to resolve the issues, it sounds a good idea to make siw driver
default, since it will make the hangs less painful for blktests users. Another
idea to reduce the pain is to improve srp/002 and srp/011 to detect the hangs
and report them as failures.

Having said that, some discussion started on this thread for resolution
(thanks!) I would wait for a while and see how long it will take for solution,
and if the actions on blktests side are valuable or not.