Re: How to control IRQ thread priority from inside the driver

Hello Steven,

> Actually, the handler thread runs _all_ register interrupt handlers. So
> there's no way to make one a higher priority than the other. This is a
> tough problem. If you have two shared handlers on the same irq line,
> and think you can make one a higher priority than the other, you can't.
> If the lower one is running (at the lower priority), and it gets
> preempted by an RT task with a priority that is between the lower
> priority handler and the higher priority handler, the higher priority
> handler may never run. The interrupt line for the IRQ is masked while
> the handlers are running. So by preempting the lower priority handler
> you are also preempting the higher priority IRQ from coming in.

Hmm, I think you did not get my point... What you mention is basic
knowledge... ;-))

What I meant was that from Embedded point of view, some developer
probably don't care about what the irq-line-number is of some device.
But, such a developer probably wants to prioritize the interrupt
handler of his device. Dependant on how the hardware layout looks like
it can be interrupt # X, Y or Z. If the kernel can match the device
name to a certain IRQ #, the implementation is probably much more
flexible than by just specifying the IRQ # at the kernel commandline.
In the case where the IRQ handler is shared with some other device,
than there are 2 options: the developer does not care, or should
choose different hardware.

Arnaldo mentioned to use the irq-name for this, and to me this sounds good.

> > possible to use 1 target image usable on multiple boards with  1
> > single kernel and 1 single config.
>
> You can still have one kernel and one config. A command line is separate.

My mistake: I meant with config the grub, u-boot or ... config, not
the kernel config

> five if you count my writing of the chapter in the O'Reilly book
> "Building Embedded Linux Systems" about RT.  But these are some of the

Interesting... When will this book be finished? I am always curious
about the point of view of others on RT... (I am working with Ingo's
RT-patch for several years now, started with the early preemption
patches on 2.4 kernels)

Kind Regards,

Remy
-