Re: How to control IRQ thread priority from inside the driver

On Thursday 09 August 2007 07:10:57 Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Darren,
>
> On Wednesday 08 August 2007 23:09, Darren Hart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 August 2007 06:14:31 you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > with the rt-preempt patch the IRQs are all kernelthreads started with
> > > priority 50. Is there a way to change this priority from inside the
> > > driver, after I did the request_irq() call? I need a higher priority
> > > for one interrupt source but I do not want to change it with chrt from
> > > userspace. It should be done inside the driver.
> >
> > I disagree.  The point of real-time is to provide user-space with more
> > control of what get's run, when, instead of something else - including
> > system interrupts, etc.  For instance, if networking should take a higher
> > priority than their application, but disk i/o should take a lower one,
> > the user needs to be able to control that.  chrt is the correct approach
> > for -rt in my opinion.
>
> All I need is one IRQ at priority 51, all other can still run at 50. And I
> don't want to search at system's runtime for the right PID of driver's
> thread to set its priority via "chrt". There is no user at this system, its
> an embedded one.

It seems reasonable then, for such a specialized case, to consider Remy's
reply to my previous mail:

"To suit my needs, I did this by just patching the kernel thread
priorities at the places where they are started. (And I am still happy
with my solution. Note that because it is very application specific, I
never expect a patch like this to get to the mainline)"

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center