Re: RDMA subsystem namespace related questions (was Re: Finding the namespace of a struct ib_device)

> On Oct 16, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 04:20:40PM +0800, Ka-Cheong Poon wrote:
>> On 10/9/20 11:34 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, because namespaces are fundamentally supposed to be anchored in
>>> the processes inside the namespace.
>>>
>>> Having the kernel jump in and start opening holes as soon as a
>>> namespace is created is just wrong.
>>>
>>> At a bare minimum the listener should not exist until something in the
>>> namespace is willing to work with RDS.
>>

>> As I mentioned in a previous email, starting is not the problem.  It
>> is the problem of deleting a namespace.
>
> Starting and ending are symmetric. When the last thing inside the
> namespace stops needing RDS then RDS should close down the cm_id's.

Unfortunately, cluster heartbeat requires the RDS listener endpoint
to continue after the last RDS user goes away, if the container
continues to exist.

IMO having an explicit RDS start-up and shutdown apart from namespace
creation and deletion is a cleaner approach. On a multi-tenant system
with many containers, some of those containers will want RDS listeners
and some will not. RDS should not assume that every net namespace
needs or wants to have a listener.

--
Chuck Lever