Re: [rdma-next 01/33] Revert "IB/core: Add flow control to the portmapper netlink calls"

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 05:58:29PM +0000, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 12:52 -0500, Chien Tin Tung wrote:

> > > As you probably know kernel developers do not write design documents. But there
> > > is plenty of evidence on the web that the netlink mechanism was designed to be
> > > unreliable. A quote from a Linux Journal article from 2005
> > > (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7356): "Netlink is asynchronous because,
> > > as with any other socket API, it provides a socket queue to smooth the burst
> > > of messages."
> >
> > So what happens when the queue is full?  you can fail at that point or you
> > can choose the 1-shot retry with timeout as we have done.  What is _wrong_
> > with the 1-shot retry?
>
> Why is the one-shot retry necessary? What aspect of the portmapper design makes
> this one-shot retry necessary? Why is this one-shot retry only necessary for the
> portmapper and not for any other Netlink client?

You are really asking why the 1-shot retry code is in Netlink.  We didn't code
it, we are simply using it with ibnl_unicast.  It being used as designed, when
the queue is full, try it one more time within the timeout parameter.  Other clients
can use it too, I'm not stopping them.

Chien