Re: rdma-core in Dabian

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 07:02:01PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > I've been thinking we should patch the kernel to solve this problem
> > instead of using this ugly userspace solution.
>
> Can it be related to the fact that mlx5 core calls to
> request_module_nowait for mlx5_ib and chelsio doesn't do it?

Yeah, maybe we should update chelsio kernel drivers instead of using
these strange modprobe files...

Steve?

> > Maybe Leon's team will try to tackle some of this? It is complicated,
> > the RH scripts do quite a bit stuff :\
>
> I would be happy to help, but I'm not sure that I understand what should
> be done :(

I'm not totally clear either, TBH. The overall topic is to move files
out of redhat/ and into the common directory. This requires removing
the redhat-isms and making sure the redhat solution is what we really
want upstream.

eg it seems rdma.cxgb[3]4.sys.modprobe is probably best done by patching
the kernel instead, not copying the modprobe files.

rdma.kernel-init does:
 - Load extra ULP modules
    * /etc/rdma/rdma.conf is not appropriate for Debian
    * 'TECH_PREVIEW' is a RedHat concept
 - Obsolete mttr/errata stuff. This is in the kernel now (delete it)
 - Yet another go at loading extra driver kernel modules (move to
   kernel)
 - Something about SRIOV (?)

For ULP modules, I think we are loading too many by hand, again, the
kernel really needs fixing to autoload our stuff on first use. So, I
suggest a quick pass over that idea to see how much kernel code can be
fixed up.

So the stuff to move to common user space code might just be the port
configuration and sriov? But someone needs to study this entire topic
with a broad view including the kernel.

Jason