Re: [RFCv2 00/15] RFCv2: Consolidated userspace RDMA library repo

The first step is the 'make it easy step'. Today everything is just
too hard for developers. When Christoph Hellwig says building our user
space is too hard *you should listen*. He isn't wrong, and he isn't
inexperienced at this.

How many potential community members have been dissuaded by that
simple fact??

I like where this is going. It would also resolve the question
"who is upstream?" that I had a few times in the past with all
the scattered repos online (ofa, github...)

Maintainer overload always is a problem, and it's helped by adding
more maintainers.  And yes, both the kernel RDMA stack and the user
code should have a small maintainer team, but that's a different
discussion.

Awesome, let's start from this discussion to clear the ground and move
to technical proposals after it.

We've already been over this ground, multiple times over
years. Consolidation is the techincal direction a lot of people want
to move toward.

Leon's concerns are justified I think. Mellanox as the most significant
contributor here should not suffer delays from this. But generally if
we build a healthy community, with active maintainers (which share the
load) and clear release cycles, I think we can actually accelerate the
process.

Whatever maintainership structure is decided on can steward the
consolidated repo.

I think that having a maintainer per provider makes perfect sense
and as long as you Jason (or anyone else) are committed to merging it
all together and produce standard releases we are pretty much set.

What I think it missing is a release schedule, stable fixes
methodology and merge cycles. I think once we can agree on that
a lot of the concerns will be addressed.