Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Thu, 2024-07-25 at 17:18 +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 02:29:36PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 04:20:35PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > > Lucky you, I still have consumer hardware (speaker) that doesn't
> > > work with Linux, and even now, there is basic hardware in my
> > > current laptop (HP docking station) that doesn't work reliably in
> > > Linux.
> >
> > FWIW for most audio issues (especially built in stuff) with laptops
> > if you report it upstream it'll generally be relatively easy to
> > quirk. Unfortunately it's idiomatic for ACPI systems to quirk off
> > DMI information for almost everything which means a constant stream
> > of per system quirks for subsystems like audio.
>
> It is Jabra USB speaker. One day, I will have time to debug it :).

Those actually do work with Linux.  It's the speakers Plumbers has
provided to BoF/Hack sessions that needed remote attendees.  There was
a pulseaudio issue a while ago that any Mic/Speaker combination that
exported HFP instead of HSP didn't work, but that's fixed upstream (but
you might need to upgrade your pulseaudio).

James