Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 04:20:35PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 03:02:13PM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:

> > As a user, and as an open source Distro developer I have a small hint.
> > But you could also ask users what they think about not being able to
> > use their notebook's cameras. The last time that I could not use some
> > basic hardware from a notebook with Linux was 20 years ago.

> Lucky you, I still have consumer hardware (speaker) that doesn't work
> with Linux, and even now, there is basic hardware in my current
> laptop (HP docking station) that doesn't work reliably in Linux.

FWIW for most audio issues (especially built in stuff) with laptops if
you report it upstream it'll generally be relatively easy to quirk.
Unfortunately it's idiomatic for ACPI systems to quirk off DMI
information for almost everything which means a constant stream of per
system quirks for subsystems like audio.