Re: [alsa-devel] PNP_DRIVER_RES_DISABLE breaks swsusp at least with snd_cs4236

On 12-01-08 16:21, Pierre Ossman wrote:

Ah, sorry. It was a different thread. Look for a mail with the subject "PNP: do not stop/start devices in suspend/resume path" in the LKML och linux-pm archives.

Right, and I see that the removal of start/stop is already in -mm. That's not going to work. Something (such as removing power) disabled Ondrej's CS4236 and the pnp_start_dev() is needed to re-enable it upon resume.

But we certainly need the pnp_start_dev() in the current flow of
things. It not being called is the problem this fixes...

I think the previous suggestion was that the drivers should call this,
not the core, so that it behaved more like other parts of the kernel
(e.g. PCI).

It seems all PnP drivers would need to stick a pnp_start_dev in their resume method then which means it really belongs in core. One important point where PnP and PCI differ is that PnP allows to change the resources on a protocol level and I don't see how it could ever not be necessary to restore the state a user may have set if power has been removed. Hibernate is just that, isn't it?

Rene.