suspend/resume uevents [was Re: [linux-pm] Introducing HAL userspace power management]

Hi!

> >> in my experience, this is exactly what happens. I am still fighting
> >> screenlockers that only kick in after the resume has long since
> >> finished ;-)
> >
> > :-) Ok, so how do you want your screensavers notified? You can
> > certainly add killall -9 Xscreensaver at the end of suspend script
>
> it is the other way round of course: the security guys would like to
> have a screenlock running after resume (they don't seem to care that all
> the valuable information is in swap in plaintext while suspended).

I'm afraid this is racy by default. Machine resumes, then Xscreensaver
is being told that it should lock, but bad user may type in console in
meantime or something.

Synchronous notification *before* suspend might do the trick,
through. Tell Xscreensaver to lock, wait for it to lock, only then
proceed with suspend. That seems only safe solution.
								Pavel