suspend/resume uevents [was Re: [linux-pm] Introducing HAL userspace power management]

On ?t 10-03-05 16:42:18, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 22:13 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > How is this bloating the kernel? Do you disagree that asynchronous
> > > notification is a good thing? I think not because that's exactly why the
> > > kobject_uevent stuff was put it in the kernel in the first place.
> >
> > kobject_uevent in kernel does not mean we have to abuse it for suspend notifycation.
> > (How would that notifycation work, btw? If done asynchronously, system will be suspended
> > before processes will have chance to do anything).
> >

> I was merely asking for an event when the system is resumed.
>
> I agree it doesn't make much sense for an event just before the system
> is suspended - if this is needed I believe we can orchestrate it
> completely from user space (things like making your email app
> synchronize etc. comes to mind).

You can have event when the system is resumed. Just do it in userspace.

> > 1st explain why such notifycation is needed
>
> Things like e.g. networking needs to be initialized (check DHCP lease,
> find a new access point, select new active device etc.) - we need this
> for e.g. NetworkManager.
>
> Applications with timeouts, such as screen savers, needs tweaking too.

No problem, so, for example, running everything in /etc/resume.d/
would do the trick?

No problem then. Modify your suspend script to do

echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep
/etc/resume.d/*

. I'm *not* going to do that from kernel. But standartizing what needs
to be ran on resume is indeed good idea, and few lines in
Documentation/power/* are probably worth it.

								Pavel