Re: New commands to configure IOV features

On 09/21/2012 03:49 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Don Dutile<ddutile@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

ok, something like attached patches?

ixgbe change need more cleanup from ixgbe guys.

yuk, no.
I have a set of patches almost done.

good. includes update to those network drivers?

It provides 3 sysfs files (enable, disable, num_max_vfs);
callbacks for enable&  disable.

why using three? only pass max_vfs should be enough...

aka pass 0 mean disabling, pass other value mean enabling.

could do that.  but I wouldn't use 'max_vfs'; I would recommend
'num_vfs', as max implies, er, um, the maximum, and what one
wants is to be able to enable a number from 1->max_vfs.
'max_vfs' will be provided by another file.

i'm tied up until Monday on RHEL6, then I'll switch gears&  post a set of
patches.

so that is your employer 'sinternal policy? for RHEL 6 kernel first,
then upstream kernel?
No, I have deadlines for RHEL6 for *other work* until Monday.  After that,
I can re-focus on upstream work.  Some of us actually have other work than
just upstream.... crazy talk, I know! ;-)

thought RH only accept backporting only patches get into upstream already.

yup. 'upstream first' is the rule at RH before it gets into a RHEL release...
and sometimes that isn't sufficient!

Have a beer, enjoy the weekend, posting forthcoming next week!

-Yinghai