Re: Dell Inspiron ExpressCard not recognized

Ben Gamari wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:43:59 +0900, Kenji Kaneshige <kaneshige.kenji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think this says the PCIe hotplug controller thinks the slot is empty.
Since there really is a card there, I don't know why this would happen
unless the slot is physically broken somehow.
I'm thinking the same thing.

Uh oh. Quite honestly, it's entirely possible that the hardware is FUBAR. I
inherited this hardware, so I really don't know if something might be damaged.
That being said, this would be the first thing that has found to be dead.

Two PCIe hotplug slots seems to be detected by pciehp driver, although
I suspect there are really two because acpiphp driver seems to detect
only one slot. Anyway, ehternet controller (0b:00.0 Ethernet controller:
Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)) is working
on one of two slot, and the other slot, to which I suppose eSATA adapter
is inserted, is detected as empty. If the slot is empty, slot power is
turned off by hardware.

I don't suppose there is any way to isolate the problem to hardware? How does
the hotplug controller determine whether a device is present? It seems strange
that only this single bus endpoint would fail.

I'm sorry, but I can't say anything about electromechanical related things.
All I can say is the "Presence Detect State" bit in the Slot Status Register
indicates the slot is empty even though the adapter is really there.

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige