Re: Dell Inspiron ExpressCard not recognized

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Tuesday 16 March 2010 01:12:42 pm Ben Gamari wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:06:11 -0700, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
Would it be possible for you to boot a current kernel (2.6.34-rc1) on
both boxes with the card in place and collect the dmesg logs and "lspci -vv"
output?  New kernels have a lot more output to make debugging easier.

Here are logs. First are the broken machine, then the working machine (the
eSATA controller is the last device in the working machine's lspci output).

Inspiron (broken) dmesg

[    2.064124] pciehp 0000:00:1c.3:pcie04: Slot Status            : 0x0000
[    2.064128] pciehp 0000:00:1c.3:pcie04: Slot Control           : 0x0008

I think this says the PCIe hotplug controller thinks the slot is empty.
Since there really is a card there, I don't know why this would happen
unless the slot is physically broken somehow.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Two PCIe hotplug slots seems to be detected by pciehp driver, although
I suspect there are really two because acpiphp driver seems to detect
only one slot. Anyway, ehternet controller (0b:00.0 Ethernet controller:
Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)) is working
on one of two slot, and the other slot, to which I suppose eSATA adapter
is inserted, is detected as empty. If the slot is empty, slot power is
turned off by hardware.

In addition, software cannot control slot power on your machine because
your hot-plug controller doesn't have power controller which allows
software to control slot power. So the possibility that the slot power
was turned off by software is very low.

Since eSATA adapter card is working on other machine, it seems there
are some hardware problems on the slot side (loose connection and so
on?).

But I'm not convinced...

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige