Re: Dell Inspiron ExpressCard not recognized

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:43:59 +0900, Kenji Kaneshige <kaneshige.kenji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think this says the PCIe hotplug controller thinks the slot is empty.
> > Since there really is a card there, I don't know why this would happen
> > unless the slot is physically broken somehow.
>
> I'm thinking the same thing.

Uh oh. Quite honestly, it's entirely possible that the hardware is FUBAR. I
inherited this hardware, so I really don't know if something might be damaged.
That being said, this would be the first thing that has found to be dead.

> Two PCIe hotplug slots seems to be detected by pciehp driver, although
> I suspect there are really two because acpiphp driver seems to detect
> only one slot. Anyway, ehternet controller (0b:00.0 Ethernet controller:
> Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)) is working
> on one of two slot, and the other slot, to which I suppose eSATA adapter
> is inserted, is detected as empty. If the slot is empty, slot power is
> turned off by hardware.

I don't suppose there is any way to isolate the problem to hardware? How does
the hotplug controller determine whether a device is present? It seems strange
that only this single bus endpoint would fail.

> But I'm not convinced...

Yeah, I would like to investigate this further if you can think of any
possibilities, but I understand this is probably wishful thinking.

Thanks!

- Ben