Re: False advertising (was: C8000 cpu upgrade problem)

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 03:42:13PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> Most don't have any affiliation with HP.  I have been on this list a
> long time, and don't believe this issue has been discussed before,
> although the kernel maintainers may be aware of it.

I honestly didn't know about it... I mean, I knew that HP did similar
things on IA-64 where new cpus could be 'purchased' and spun up with no
downtime. But I didn't realize the C8000 had such limitations (mine is
an early prototype so there was no possibility for upgrade and I never
bothered.)

Hopefully on Monday someone from HP who's still around may be able to
provide the tool since any support contracts are probably expired given
they haven't been sold since 2006...

We should add a note to the faq about this.

--Kyle